India still remains one of the most corrupt nations in the Asia-Pacific region. According to the Corruption Perception Index (2016), India scored 40 on a 100 point scale (0 being the most corrupt and 100 least corrupt) and ranked 79th among 176 countries. Ever since Modi started his term, he has been trying to curb the corruption level by driving the initiative of a cashless economy. First the Aadhar initiative to open and link all the banks, next the overnight demonetization followed by the BHIM app and then Aadhar Pay – all the initiatives are focused on uprooting corruption by reducing the cash transactions in the economy.
April 14th 2017 marked the launch of Aadhar Pay – an initiative that gives the ability to rural India to pay without any hassles. Once your bank account is linked to your Aadhar, you can easily use your thumb impressions to make payments anywhere, anytime. PoS systems will be set up for the merchants which will require the customer’s Aadhar number and thumb impression. The amount would automatically be deducted from the bank account of the customer and transferred to the merchant. As Modi puts it, “There was an era when the thumb was a sign of being illiterate. Now, the thumb (used for Aadhaar-based transactions) has become your strength.” No more are you a lowly Angootha Chhaap, because the power now lies in the thumb.
Modi seems to be on a roll when it comes to cleaning India. First it was the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan to clean the nation. Now it is the DigiDhan movement, Safai Abhiyan to clean the menace of corruption. We support his cause. Do you?
Aadhar Pay Service: How does it work?
You can accept payments using your Aadhar by following these steps:
Let’s start by learning a few things about AEPS and its related services before moving forward
What’s Aadhaar Enabled Payment System?
Aadhar Enabled Payment System (AEPS) allows bank customers with Aadhar enabled accounts to access their accounts and make basic banking transactions, such as balance enquiries and cash withdrawals to their business correspondent.
What services does AePS offer?
- Withdrawal of cash
- Enquiry regarding balances
- The mini-statement
- Fund Transfer between Aadhar Accounts
How to use Aadhar Pay Service?
- Choose Aadhar pay under AEPS Services.
- Now add the name and number of the bank that is linked with your Aadhar.
- You will need to enter the amount that needs to be collected.
- Select a Biometric Device.
- Process the payment by capturing the biometric details.
In order to accept payments through Aadhar, fingerprints are verified by Aadhar Fingerprints Scanners. It is the most commonly used biometric device in India.
Aadhar pay Benefits
- Customer can make payments using Aadhar Pay without using a debit or credit card.
- Using an Aadhar-linked bank account to make cashless payments
- There are no preequisties
- Having a smartphone is not required
- Best option for safe and secure payments
- Biometric payment verification for customers
- Card Applications are not required